Do you want to start a worm farming business? If yes, find in this article a business plan guide on how to start a commercial worm farm venture from your backyard.
Worm farming is an eco-friendly business. In addition, anyone can start this business from his or her backyard. Here in this post, we intend to explore how to start a commercial worm farm for profits.
A worm farm has enough potential of giving good margins. Furthermore, the business has enough potential for growth. To start a commercial worm farm, you do not require any specific educational degree.
However, the business demands specific skill and knowledge about the worm farm operation. In addition, you can start the business with small capital investment. Also, it doesn’t demand a lot of space.
Benefits of Starting Worm Farm
- Setting up a worm farm doesn’t require that much space thus anyone can own a worm farm even in apartment houses.
- It only needs about 10 mins per week on maintenance. And you can establish it indoors or outdoors, it’s all up to you.
- Worm farms are odor free which means your worm farm will not produce bad smells.
- It’s an activity that anyone can undertake giving knowledge to children on how to care for the environment.
- It’s a great way of recycling household waste into a great fertilizer helping in a more clean environment.
- Your worm farm will help in reducing global warming because worm farms release no greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere.
- Worm farming produces worm tea (the liquid worm castings) which is an organic fertilizer and natural pest repellent.
- You can easily turn your worm farming into a profitable worm composting business for extra income.
You will find a post about how to start a profitable vermicompost production business. We mention there the pit system for the production of the organic manure. Here, you can find a guide about how to start a commercial worm farming in the containers.
Business Plan To Start A Worm Farm Business
Craft a detailed business plan. A successful worm farming operation includes collecting the waste, producing the manure, harvesting and selling the manure and worm. So, you must have a detailed business plan in hand.
Determine how much quantity you will start the farm. Where you will sell the product. In addition, you must identify the local market and the demand for this product. Determine the means of packaging.
Generally, you can use HDPE bags for packing. Plan the financials properly with an expected rate of return.
Procure The Resources
You must procure the resources. And the first requirement is good quality worms that can convert the organic matter into vermicompost very fast.
Eisenia Fetida, are the most common type of worm used for vermicomposting. These worms are easily available worldwide. You don’t need a lot to start a home worm bin. One pound is equivalent to 1,000 worms. They reproduce very fast and regulate their number based on the amount of food available.
Another requirement is plastic bins. According to the desired production quantity, you will need to procure the containers. Choose the dark colour containers for the better result. In addition, you will need to arrange some small tools like drill machine etc.
Your regular required resources are the household waste or food waste. It is better to contact the nearby other companies like food processing factory or restaurants to get the regular supply.
Grow & Sell The Products
Vermicompost manure has a specific shelf life. And you must sell the product after harvesting. Most potential buyers are the horticulture or vegetable farms.
Apart from that, you must concentrate on the distribution. Concentrate on the local areas. Ensure you have listings at the local wholesale directories. Besides, you can have business tie-ups with the seed retailers also.
Successful operation of a worm farm demands adequate knowledge and skill. If you have prior experience it is good. Otherwise, before getting into the business, try to have some training. Otherwise, at least follow some books.
If you are really serious about starting a profitable worm farm, then we would recommend reading the book “How To Make A Worm Farm.” The author of this book Lynda Dillman has shared the every detail information about starting a successful worm farming business.