Any individual can start a home-based resume writing or CV writing business on a part-time basis. As the business is purely knowledge-based, startup capital requirement is very less.
You can also offer other allied services like writing a cover letter, career counseling, and interview guide. This is a self-rewarding business as you help people in developing their career and living.
A resume is generally a short history of a person’s academic, skills and experiences. But a good resume is something more than that.
A well-documented resume highlights the key abilities and skills of the person in a professional manner. Unfortunately, most of the people have no idea about how to write a killer resume. And here you can place yourself as resume writing service provider.
Starting a home-based resume writing service business and making it a profitable venture is not an easy task. You must have adequate knowledge of resume writing with copywriting expertise. You must be good in grammar, punctuation, spelling, and vocabulary. You must be equally expert in content and formatting of a resume. This is only your creativity that will make each resume stand out from the crowd.
Resources For Home Based Resume Writing Service Business
In starting a home-based resume writing service business, it is advisable to consider getting professional certification from a reliable authority.
There are different certifications you can opt for. You need to decide which one is appropriate for you.
The most popular certifications are Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) and Master Resume Writer (MRW). To be successful in this business, u must undergo continuing education classes to remain updated. Though not a must, clients generally prefer people having proper credentials.
Other than this, it is obvious that you will need to have a computer with internet connectivity and word-processing software in starting resume writing service business. In addition to this, you also need to have a fax machine, printer, and copier. As you start locally, you must talk to the people. You must have a comfortable sitting arrangement when you are operating the business from home.
Who Are The Clients For Your Home Based Resume Writing Service
Simply, everyone is your client who is seeking for a job. Generally, you will find five types of niche for your business.
- Freshers and students looking for their first job.
- People looking for Govt. service
- People returning job after an interval like maternity cause.
- People looking for better opportunity.
- People looking for online marketing of resumes including Linkedin
Promote Your Home Based Resume Writing Service
In today’s digital era, you must promote your business offline and online both. Here I have listed some of the basic ideas to promote your business.
- Start offline advertising locally. Publish advertisement on local newspaper especially for job seekers.
- Advertise your business in Yellow Pages.
- You must have your own business website with a blog.
- Email marketing is the best way to build community
- Offer some free stuff like a handbook on ‘Guide To Face Interview’ written by you.
- Place fliers on public library bulletin boards and college campus bulletin boards
- Research what your competitors are doing, and then, go with something different and better solutions
- Embrace social media and other online tools – because if you don’t, you’ll be doing yourself a disservice.
- Give seminars and workshops. You can offer it online for free.