I come across everyday people from all sections of the society asking about entrepreneurship advice in starting their own business. Mostly i find employees working somewhere wish to change their lives, get rid of their bosses and lead a life of their own. However entrepreneurship demands certain set of skills and attitude. One must be ready with qualities required to be entrepreneur before plunging to the road ahead. Based on my own experience i mention below some of the qualities you must gather before taking the path of entrepreneurship.
You must change task oriented approach in entrepreneurship
: Employees tend to have an attitude of waiting for a task to be given. Even if you carry out the task near to perfection, it does not ensure you are responsible. Responsibility in entrepreneurship is different. Entrepreneurship demands different kind of attitude regarding responsiblity. As an entrepreneur you need to be asking yourself about the task itself. You need to ask:
1. Why are we doing this task and its benefit
2. Is this the best option we have at present?
3. Is the task really worth to be done?
4. Is it duplicable?
- Get Matured : You are now grown up and you need to act like it.
Adults ask questions, most importantly, “Why?” Unlike the Silent Generation, they don’t live passively but are self-motivated, self-managed, creative, and problem solvers. They don’t shut up; they make waves. They don’t sit down; they are highly visible. And they don’t expect the company or other adults to take care of them. Chuck Blakeman puts it best.
- You have to take the risk: This matured world revolves around pain and gain principle.
I find most employees are security driven. They can put everything mortgaging for security. The month end paycheck is the guarantee employees look for. To get rid of this challenge i find is difficult. I can do everything but just not the responsibility of owning the business. For an employee fear of failure is far more important than taking a chance. Entrepreneurs need to take risk but it must be calculative .They calculate the rewards and payoffs and anticipate it and plunges to accept the cost of going ahead with the path.
- You cant do everything of yourself : Dont think you can do everything. You have to have someone for advice,accountabilty and support whom you can depend when ever you need. The transition from job to entrepreneur is bound to be stressful even you are no short of postive attitude. Find a mentor or friends from similar trades will surely give you the necessary support in this transition period. To sum it in simple create a support system around you.
- The perfectionist syndrome : Employees tend to think the perfectionist way. There is no perfect plan in this universe of entrepreneurship which will guarantee you success. General Patton’s advices : “A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.” Even the near perfect plan will need adjustments in future. Have a business plan and jump .
Check youself do you see this attitude in you. If YES, den dont waste your time. The world of entrepreneurship welcomes you.