The manufacturing process of an iodized salt manufacturing project is not very complex. Iodized salt is ordinary common salt treated with potassium iodate 50 to induce right quantity of Iodine in the diet to enhance the iodine deficiency in the people across our country. Salt was the name originally given to the residue left by evaporation of sea water. Iodizing salt for human consumption is a modern trend. Iodine is used in the body formation of thyroxine an essential hormone.
Salt is used as a medium to supply iodine to the body. Many important industrial chemical processes are based on sodium chloride. Iodized salt contains 25 ppm of Potassium Iodate (KIO3), which is equivalent to 3.0025%. Iodized salt is more stable in moisture absorbing characteristics in an open atmosphere. The stability of this kind of salt depends upon various factors like moisture content, polarized light, impurities like ferric chloride & Magnesium Sulphate.
Here is Stepwise Guide of Starting an Iodized Salt Manufacturing Business
1. Do Some Market Research
If you are looking to start an iodized salt manufacturing business on a small scale, the demand of the local market is a critical area you need to research. Meet local retail outlets, and do an extensive market research and understand the trends and the buying pattern of the customers in the immediate market.
2. Learn Iodized Salt Manufacturing Process
It is a must to understand the process of manufacturing iodized salt for a beginner. It is best to learn from someone who is already in the business. Else, talk to the machine manufacturers and try to learn as much as possible about the process.
Find below the basic steps followed in iodized making process:
- he Raw Salt is fed to the conical shaped hopper and is crushed with a High carbon steel Roll crusher to the size of 2-3 mm.
- This salt is conveyed through an inclined conveyor to discharge point at the ground.
- The 0.1% aqueous solution of potassium iodate is sprayed over a mixing bed of salt of thickness 10-15cm, by air pressure.
- This salt is mixed in a horizontal mixer for uniform mixing of Iodine.
- This salt is bagged from the hopper in the fixed amount. Alternatively, it can be packed in one Kg poly pack for direct sales.
In addition to this, you must gather information about the machinery and equipment required in the manufacturing process. Some basic types of equipment are mentioned below:
Machinery For Iodized Salt Production
- Roll Crusher size 75 x 30 cm with SS hopper
- Belt conveyor: 3 roll type 450mm width & 6.8 meters length.
- Spraying chamber (SS) for Potassium iodate solution.
- Mixing Screw Conveyor, 3 meters long
- SS Storage tank (100 liters) for potassium iodate solution.
- Air Compressor, Capacity 26 c.f.m
3. Create a Business Plan
Write a business plan for your iodized salt processing business. If you are looking for finance, hiring a professional would be wiser. You can also take help of free business templates available on the internet and write your own business plan.
4. Name your Business
Select a name which people can relate to your salt manufacturing company. Additionally, check a domain name is available or not similar to the company name. It will help you in creating a website similar to the company name.
5. Make your Iodized Salt Processing Business Legally Compliant
Decide on a proper business structure under which you are going to operate your iodized salt manufacturing business unit. In addition, check with local authorities, what are the licenses and permits you need to obtain for running your business stress-free. Also, talk to insurance companies and ensure your business is properly insured.
6. Arrange Finance
If you are funding the manufacturing business of your own or being funded by individuals you know, finance is not an issue for you. However, if you are looking for a finance, the business plan is a must. A well-articulated business plan will be helpful in this scenario.
7. Promote your Iodized Salt Manufacturing Brand
If you are on a starting small with less budget, give more time in developing your marketing strategy. You need to find out low-cost ways of promoting your brand of products. Check our article on How to Create Successful Marketing Plan with Less Money to know more.
Finally, don’t expect your business to be a runaway success in a day. Most beginners make this mistake. Like any other manufacturing business, iodized salt processing business will also take some to bring in profits. However, if you are dedicated and doing the right things, profit will come sooner than later.