Ecotourism is travelling and visiting new unexplored places that protects the environment and also looks after the welfare of the local people residing in that area. Ecotourism is one of the great choice for nature lovers who also love adventure travel. Ecotourism business industry makes up 6% of the GDP all over the world. This industry is considered as a fast growing industry as the yearly growth rate is 5%.
This is a new emerging concept of travel and tourism industry. Ecotourism includes some alternative forms of transportation that have lower carbon emissions, travel to an agriculture destination etc. Any individual passionate about travel and having knowledge about ecotourism destinations can initiate this business. As an ecotourism travel planner you will be providing the advice and arrangements according to your client’s choice and budget.
Ecotourism is also considered as sustainable tourism, because it has lot of potential travel ideas. Apart from a simply vacation or holiday trip, it is also a learning process for the people who are related with wildlife management, historians, archaeologist, environmental science and wildlife photography.
There are no such specific training is required in starting ecotourism business. But yes, you will need to be organized, great communicator and good listener who always comes with a resourceful positive reply.
Popular Ecotourism Activities
Main objective of ecotourism is to minimize negative impact on the land and its communities in time of travelling. Popular ecotourism activities include visiting tropical rainforests, studying flora and fauna, hiking in natural parks, taking whale-watching trips, exploring volcanoes, visiting historical places, canyoning and even visiting the frozen lands of the arctic circle.
Ecotourism Business Plan & Market Research
An ecotourism business cannot succeed without having a extensive market research. It will help you to establish pricing, distribution, and promotional strategies for your ecotourism product or service. Identify ecotourism market in terms of size, structure, growth prospects, trends and sales potential.
Crafting a business plan is must in starting a ecotourism business. It will help you in understanding how your business is put together and how you will be monitoring progress, controlling your costs and sales and raising funds. While you are making arrangement on behalf of your clients, you must have proper idea, resourceful contacts and local support. Plan about the places that you will going to arrange trips for your clients. Determine to whom will you market your products. Set out your business objective and long term-short term goals. Analyze competition and define your competitive advantages. Financial and marketing planning is also important. A proper financial plan will give you confidence and you will also understand whether any investor’s funding is required or not. You must take into account all of the running costs, should not be overly optimistic and use reasonable assumptions to back up any figures. This type of business requires a sound working capital support.
Ecotourism Business Setup
- In starting ecotourism travel planning business, you will need to have an office space. You can start with by having a rent property. Your prospective clients are supposed to have an in person meeting with you.
- Consult with an attorney about the necessary permission and legalities. Register your business according to the ownership pattern. For every trip get liability license. It will protect your clients as well as your business.
- Hire efficient manpower who have experience in travel industry. Generally you will need to have sales personnel and trip coordinator.
- As any travel planning business, resources is one of the most crucial factor in ecotourism also. Having resourceful vendor tie ups is important in this business. You will need to have proper information about the lodging, local licensed tour guide, means of conveyance etc.
- Special considerations for ecotourism operators include regulatory policies that could influence your operation, such as permits, taxes, zoning, educating visitor code of conduct, service or product evaluation, and protection from risk and liability.
- Managing an ecotourism business requires familiarity with ecological and social concepts and challenges. You must understand how to bring people into contact with nature without damaging the very attraction they are coming to see and clearly communicate these practices to your front-line staff.
Promote Your Ecotourism Business
Promote your business online and offline both. Publish print advertisement in travel magazines. Join tour operator’s associations to get current trending industry happenings. Create your own website. Find an experienced web designer to ensure a good look and high visibility among search engines like Google. Keep your website updated with photos and relevant content. Source quality photos, but make sure they load quickly. Promote your website via other relevant travel sites or forums like Trip Advisor, Lonely Planet etc. Having a blog increases your website’s visibility on search engines, as it ensures the website has regular fresh content. Use social media rightfully. Register with online travel market places. These will definitely help you in generation sales leads for your ecotourism business.